Lamb with turmeric, lime and fresh mango chutney
Serves 4, Preparation time 10 minutes, Cooking time 50 minutes
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lime juice plus wedges to serve if you wish
1 green chilli, chopped finely
1 teaspoon root ginger, peeled and chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, crushed or chopped
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon turmeric
12 lamb cutlets or 4 lamb steaks
For the Mango Chutney:
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
2 mangoes, peeled and diced
75g caster sugar
1 red chilli, chopped
1 and a half tablespoons lime juice
1. Making the marinade - Whisk together the oil, lime juice, green chilli, ginger, garlic, garam masala and turmeric.
2. Toss the lamb in the marinade coating it as much as you can and leave for at least half an hour or up to a day.
3. Making the chutney - Heat the olive oil in a saucepan, add the mustard seeds and stir until they start to pop.
4. Stir in the diced mangoes, sugar, red chilli, and some salt to taste. Cook over a medium heat, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes until slightly syrupy.
5. Add the lime juice and season as necessary and then set aside to cool.
6. When ready to cook preheat a griddle, grill or barbecue, drain the excess marinade off the lamb and cook them for about 2 minutes on each side if using a griddle or barbecue and about 6-7 minutes on each side if grilling so they are lightly charred on the outside but still pink in the middle.
7. Serve with the mango chutney and lime wedges if you like.