Serves 2 people, Preparation time 10 minutes, Cooking time 30 minutes
2 fillet steaks
140g fresh spinach
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 red onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, sliced
400g can chopped tomatoes
3 celery sticks
1 orange pepper, sliced
25g sliced black olives
1 tablespoon capers
1 teaspoon oregano
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1. Put the olive oil in a lidded frying pan and then add the onion and garlic, cooking for about 5 minutes and stirring occasionally.
2. Tip in the chopped tomatoes and half a can of water. Add the celery, pepper, olives, capers, oregano and balsamic vinegar. Stir everything together, cover the pan and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Heat another frying pan or a griddle pan and season the steaks on both sides with salt and black pepper. Once the pan is hot cook the steaks for 2-3 minutes on each side, depending on how thick they are, for rare steak, longer if you prefer the steak medium. Remove the steaks from the pan and let them rest for a few minutes.
4. Meanwhile add the spinach to a saucepan or frying pan on a low heat and let it wilt.
5. To serve, spoon the caponata onto the plates, add the spinach and then top with the steak, you can slice the steaks for a bit of added presentation adn also to check they are cooked to your liking!